Monday, February 7, 2011

1 side of Quaker Heart finished and A Hobnail Milk Glass Pincushion

Thanks to a horrible head cold and flakey barometric pressure that combined to trigger a day and a half long migraine, I have not been very productive the past few days.  Once the headache went away, I did manage to finish one side of my Quaker Heart.  And I turned a piece of my Great Aunt's hobnail milk glass into a pretty little pincushion! 
When we lost our wonderful Auntie Wanda, I asked for the little hobnail milk glass set that she had in her dining room to remember her by. It consisted of a small ruffled pedestal bowl and two little votive candle holders.  What I got was a small ruffled pedestal bowl and ONE little votive candle holder.  (You'd have to know my mother to understand ~~ "Oh, was there another piece??")  
It has always driven me crazy to have this odd configuration.  Then one day I was looking at pincushions made from teacups and I thought "Hey!"  So I bought a piece of blue velvet and turned the odd little votive candleholder into a sweet little pincushion. 
Now the little piece of milk glass isn't part of an incomplete set sitting in the cupboard.  It's a useful and very special treasure all of its own.  Great Aunt Wanda was a fun and crafty lady herself, and I hope she would approve. 

4 comments:

  1. My that was a clever idea. Looks great

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea, to turn the votive holder into a pincushion, it looks wonderful! That velvet is such a soft, pretty colour. The Quaker heart looks lovely too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a brilliant way to make a new use out of the votive holder - and definitely a practical one. I'm sure your great aunt would approve!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your Quaker Heart. And the pincushion -- what a brilliant idea! I love the velvet color -- it looks so nice in the white.

    ReplyDelete